Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Snuggies-n-Smores



Do I have your attention yet?  I feel like it should be a personal life goal to never type or use the Snuggie TM in my daily life.  Alas, if this were an actual life goal, I would have now failed--miserably.  What, you might ask, would compel me to experiment with this oversized "blanket" (aka bathrobe turned backwards)?  It would have to be an exceptionally good cause.  Good thing I love our church functions--and our church small group.

Incidentally, and before I continue, it continues to baffle me beyond all things imaginable that someone is making a FORTUNE from these things--despite the gaping draft you feel in the back when you stand up--hospital gown style.  Some quick google research revealed that not only did the Snuggie make over $4 million in 2008, but the projected revenue for 2009 is somewhere around $9 million.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  Further investigation reveals that Gary Clegg (father to the Snuggie) birthed the idea after finding it necessary to cut a hole in his sleeping bag since the TV remote wouldn't work through the fabric:


"Gary Clegg said it began in 1998, when he was a freshman at the University of Maine in Orono and living in a chilly dormitory. He cut a hole in his sleeping bag because his TV remote wouldn’t work through the fabric, and subsequently asked his mother to sew a sleeve onto it, he said. Mr. Clegg added a second sleeve and otherwise refined the design in the ensuing years. He gave the appendaged blankets as gifts to friends, and finally, with an investment from his brother, Jeff, mass-produced them and started selling them onSlanket.com in early 2006."


And think I believed my mom when she told me that I wouldn't get anywhere in life sitting on the couch watching TV.  Let this be another lesson to all those couch potatoes out there---sloth can breed millions people.  (Read the entire NY Times article here.  And please don't think the term "Slanket" is escaping me.)



But, I digress.  My first experience with the Sunggie was Sunday night. Our church has a "fall festival" of sorts and every small group lines the soccer field with trucks. There are games, trunk-or-treating, and lots of good food.  This year, our group designated a theme and it was, you guessed it, "Snuggies-N-Smores."  I highly recommend the latter.  As for the former, after I tied the back together and rolled up the yards of extra sleeve material from the "one size fits all," it wasn't too bad.    Regardless, it was a great night and we had lots of fun. We were definitely well equipped with lots of snuggies, a fire pit, toddlers and candy.  All the makings of a great night!



Do they make toddler snuggies?  Not that Mr. Clegg needs my advice, but it could be an untapped market.  Until then, Emma will remain snuggie-less, and at the mercy of dear Tom to provide her some much needed juice.



Meet Vance, Patrick, and Chris (L-R).  A picture really does say 1,000 words.



Apparently, hot buns were also on the evening's menu.



Dear monogrammed Kala.  What would we do without her married monogrammed trick-or-treat bag?



Sweet Ashley--the marshmellow roasting master.



Undoubtedly the best part of the night.



Until next year friends.  I'll be scouring QVC for the next up-and-coming trend to inspire our tailgate!

No comments: