Monday, January 24, 2011

Radical Couponing

A new year.  New beginnings.  New resolutions.  I've thought so much about things I want to accomplish/change/improve in 2011 and it is too overwhelming for me to list consecutively. So, I'm trying to categorize.    I've read several materials lately of people who "name" their year. I admit, I found it kinda lame, or just weird at first.  But the more I prayed over it, the more I felt the Lord revealing that intently focusing on a "theme" for a year helps reign in some of life's chaos.  So, I began to wonder how the Spirit would work in me in 2011 if I tried to view circumstances through a common lens, which meant I was opening my heart to "naming" 2011.  And you'll never guess what happened.  In church a few weeks ago, the Lord revealed exactly what 2011 should be about for me.  It is the year of Redemption.  The more I prayed and thought about it, the more excited I became.  After all redemption is entirely about making things new.  And what better way to start than with a new year.  So, I hope to consistently remind myself of all the redemptive works the Lord continues to do in me, my family and the world.  I'm also (more timidly) approaching 2011 with the prayer that the Lord would uncover areas in my life in need of redemption, and give me the strength to obey Him in those areas.  So, here's to 2011!

Where has that left me on January 24? Well, after nearly completing the 2011 Avery budget revision, it was time to remember all the different ways the Lord provides---including coupons.  So, back to Publix I've been.   Realizing this is the third year I've been "playing the game," I'm hoping to approach 2011 with a more generous attitude. To that end, and with respect to couponing, in 2011 I hope to:

1. Use coupons for free or nearly free items to donate (I'm terrible about doing this);

2. Avoid the "hoarding mentality" couponing often creates in me (hence the 47 boxes of pasta in our pantry);

3. Reduce the "competition."  A deal is a deal only if we will use it.  And it is not a deal if it cost more in gas to drive to 5 stores than the money I'm saving. duh; and

4. Stay under budget each month, saving what remains for our missions giving.

That said, the Lord continues to provide and this week my Publix take was:


Full Price: 85.25
I paid: $52.09
I saved: $33.16

Not the best overall % savings, but then I realized that each package of formula is $22.49 (regular price--but I had coupons). So, the two formulas alone (had I paid regular price) nearly totaled what I paid for everything else!

BUT you ask...what are we "eating" this month?  Well, we eat mostly out of our stockpile. But, I do go to other discount stores to get a few non-sale items (which usually saves a few $$ over buying them at publix).  Overall, I would say 90% of the ingredients I use for the week comes from our stockpile. (Of course, we get fresh produce and publix milk each week which does not.)  So, good luck to all you couponers--and try it if you're not!! It's actually pretty fun!  

And, since January is not only our budget month, but also the global missions month at our church, I'm finally reading this.



The first few pages are already challenging.  I cannot wait to pick it up again, and I am dreading it all at the same time. I'm hoping to be: totally transformed by the Spirit through these words; encouraged to fixate on heavenly treasures; and broken over people in the world who have not heard the Gospel at all.  If you've already read it, I'd love to hear what you thought!!

Tootles--and happy 2011 (24 days later...)

2 comments:

Patrick and Laren Barker said...

I understand the hoarding mentality. We currently have 18 boxes of cereal. But the way we eat it, that only seems to last a couple of weeks.

Kitty Brown said...

Oh yes, I'm reading Radical right now too. We'll chat.