It is the love story of all love stories. The ultimate tragedy for Jesus' followers, marked with excruciating pain, mockery, betrayal, public humiliation, earthly devastation and even worse still: complete separation from God. An innocent and sinless man taking on the sins of the world to open the doors to paradise for all who believe. All for a sinful world. All for sinners like me.
How do you begin to illustrate such love and sacrifice to a two year old? (or better still, continually impress it on my own heart?) Well, today, we attempted to do so with food: hot cross buns (aka cinnamon rolls). Please excuse the almost unrecognizable crosses out of icing. That stuff melts fast.
We all ate breakfast together and Emma certainly enjoyed it.
After the excitement of the cinnamon rolls wore off a bit, Jason read the crucifixion story from the Jesus Storybook Bible.
It is admittedly a difficult story to read--no matter the version. The pain, the "unroyal" treatment of the greatest King--and the fact that I continue to live so often in disbelief of all the promises He has for me and all the mercy He has shown me. But for Emma, the illustrations probably held her toddler attention the most. She saw the picture of Jesus on the cross and said "Jesus, bad boo boo." And then it hit me. Even through the eyes of a child, the truth is evident. Yes dear Emma, it was the worst of all boo boos, suffered for you and me.
Incidentally, Emma also wanted a boo boo truck (aka ambulance) to come to help Jesus. We explained that Jesus was actually His own boo boo truck, but that he CHOSE to stay on the cross because He loves us. That HE died for Emma, and for all of us. I'm not positive how much it registered, but I'm grateful for the Spirit's guidance.
The day continued on and I was thankful the Lord gave our family time together this morning. I am often overcome with grief on Good Friday--at the pain Jesus suffered and my unworthiness to receive His grace. I struggle to remember that Friday is only PART of the story. There is still the greatest HOPE to come--the greatest miracle the Earth has ever seen. I guess that is why I like the clip below. It reminds me: Sunday's Coming!
1 comment:
Hey Abigail! I just found your blog through Jason on facebook! Your Holy Week activities are inspiring! And we LOVE the Jesus Storybook Bible, too. Seems like you are enjoying your domestic life as a mom as much as I am. Isn't it fun? You have such a beautiful daughter! Have a great week!
Post a Comment